Benefits of Having a Home EV Charger
May 26, 2022Read more
Electrical hazards are dangers that are always there waiting to spoil the most carefully laid plans. Mr. Electric can help you take the proper electrical safety precautions and maintenance steps to avoid any electrical mishap to your home or office in Atlanta. An electrician can provide appropriate guidance for your needs.
There are five hazards in your home which can cause electricity to flow where it doesn't belong. These are some of the most common causes of fires, or even serious accidents, in your home. Let's take a brief look at each risk and how you can manage them to keep your family safe.
Wiring that is old or damaged can pose safety issues. Copper wiring has a limited lifespan and should be replaced every 30 years. When it starts to become brittle or show other signs of wear, it needs to be replaced immediately. Faulty wiring also includes cables that have been damaged by pests, moisture, or other factors. It's essential to regularly inspect your wiring for signs of damage and have it repaired by a licensed electrician.
Improperly wired outlets are a common problem in homes across the country. If not addressed, they can lead to serious safety risks. You may notice lights flickering when outlets are in use, or you may experience a loss of power or sparks coming from your outlets when you plug things in. Hiring an electrician from Mr. Electric to update your wiring will give you and your family peace of mind.
One of the most common electrical hazards is overloading circuits with too many appliances. If you plug too many devices into one circuit, you could overload the circuit and cause a short, which can cause sparks and even start a fire.
If you've ever walked into a room where someone has plugged multiple cords into one extension cord, then plugged that extension cord into another extension cord, you know how dangerous this can be. Extension cords are for temporary use only — never use them permanently. Not using extension cords properly can lead to overheating or even fire.
Many people know that water and electricity don't mix, but few understand why this is dangerous. Water is not itself an electrical conductor: it has to have some other material dissolved in it to conduct the current from a live wire to you.
The most common cause of electrocution from water is when the water contains metal, such as salt or minerals from well water, or from hot tubs and pools where there's also chlorine. The metal dissolves into the water, making it a conductor and capable of carrying an electrical charge.
In addition, if your skin is wet for any reason, whether from exposure to rain or swimming pools, your body conducts electricity better than if your skin is dry. This is why electrocution accidents happen more frequently when it's raining heavily, during bathtime, or at the beach.
There's a reason why you're warned not to use your phone while it's plugged in! If your charger or power cord is frayed or damaged, it can cause a shock, so check them often for signs of wear and tear. You should also avoid overloading outlets or extension cords as this can create overheating that could lead to a fire.
It's easy to leave your phone charger plugged into an outlet without noticing. However, since the charger is not being used to charge a device, it's wasting energy and driving up your electric bill.
Always unplug chargers when they're not in use to fix this problem. Consider using a power strip for all your chargers so that when you're done using them, you can switch off the power strip instead of having to unplug each charger individually.
Space heaters can be a serious fire hazard if they are not used properly. You always want to make sure that space heaters are placed on a hard, flat surface and away from anything that could catch fire. Space heaters should be kept at least three feet away from any flammable materials, and you also want to keep your curtains and other furniture several feet from the heater because they can easily catch fire.
You should never place a space heater on furniture or near water. Water and electricity do not mix, so if the heater is knocked over for some reason, there is a good chance someone could get electrocuted. This is why it's essential only to buy space heaters with automatic shut-off mechanisms, and these mechanisms will turn off the heater before it becomes a hazard if it is knocked over or overheats.
The problem is that most people don't know where to look for these hazards, which is where Mr. Electric comes in. Electrical wiring can be highly complex and time-consuming, especially when researching yourself. Still, this doesn't mean that you should ignore the signs of electrical problems.
If you suspect that you have an electrical hazard in your home, it's best to contact a professional like Mr. Electric to assess the situation and help identify solutions.
ceiling fan installation
ceiling fan installers
electrical panel replacement
Electrical Panel Replacement
Electrical Code Violations